June 26

Farewell and Goodbye

Good morning boys,

For the last post of this term, we will say goodbye and farewell as you are now moving on to Grade 9.  Well done for working so hard this last term, it was  not easy for anyone but we finally got there.

I’m sending you a virtual handshake and wish you a good luck for the future.

As I told you yesterday during our virtual goodbye session, I hope you stay safe this summer and use your time wisely. You are young and you have a lot of ‘free’ time now. Enjoy it as much as you can and have no regrets! There will be a time when you will want to do a lot of things but other life commitments won’t allow it!

Some of you might be changing schools or leaving the country. It was a pleasure meeting you and getting to know you. We hope you have fond memories of us all! We will always be here to support you and cheer you on no matter where you are in life. Take care all!

Looking forward to seeing you again in September.

JM and SA

June 23

Challenge your self this summer!

Good Morning Boys,

With a few days left of ‘online school’ which you can count on your hands…. I want you to think a bit what you want to do this Summer! You’ve been home for a long time now already and even though some might have wanted to play more… you still played more than you would usually do if we were at school! The fact that you did not have formal exams was also less stressful! You could also stay at home with the AC!

What I would like from you is to give some thought as to what you can do over the Summer months which is NEW! Find something that can Challenge you and see if you can stick with it. A new hobby, a new sport, a new routine… Something which you do for 21 days straight becomes a habit! Did you know that?

Last year, around the end of May I decided to join a friend and start attending Zumba classes twice a week. I was HORRIBLE! I couldn’t understand the moves! I would go left when everyone is going right! I would trip or hit myself as I am moving my hands. I enjoyed the music but it was too loud for me. I felt fat and out of shape. A 60 yr old woman had a sexier body and was jumping and dancing in rhythm like there is no tomorrow and barely breaking a sweat! I was half her age and barely managed 2 songs in a row without complaining!

My friend encouraged me and told me it is totally normal! She told me not to over think things and just try! After 3 weeks I really started to enjoy it! I kept going and encouraged others to go! Perhaps I do not attend every week as sometimes I can’t but I do try to go and have attended over 50 lessons since I started! Even during quarantine, when sports were not allowed, I was attending online Zumba Zoom lessons.

Last week I went back to our outdoor class and I just loved it. I realized that now I feel more comfortable and that I manage to pick up even new routines easily! For those who thing Zumba is just dancing, I am sharing with your some of the tracks we play and perhaps you can challenge yourselves at home too and get your parents and siblings involved!

The most important thing is to find a new Challenge for Summer 2020 and make it a Summer worth remembering! Do not make 2020 the year of the pandemic… make it YOUR OWN YEAR!

ALSO HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO FELIX and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO RYDER!!

Take care,

SA and JM

June 22

Summer and lazy days

Good morning boys,

Today’s blog is focused on SUMMER.  As it is finally here and that feeling we usually experience when we finish the last exam on the last day of term.  I’m dedicating this song as it best describes it.

I’m sure that all of you cant wait to close your books, files and copybooks and head to the beach or jump in your pool.  Looking forward to lazy days under the umbrella on the hot sand or better still on deck.

Well us too!  Enjoy everyone!!!!

JM and SA

June 19

To All DADs out there

Good morning boys,

Today’s blog is dedicated to all our Dads, to celebrate Father’s day this coming Sunday.  We need to reflect and appreciate all they do for you and much more.

Fathers are equally important to Mothers.  Some of you might have a closer relationship with your Dads as you play football together or go sailing together.  Spending quality time with your Dads is your homework for this weekend.

I also would like to mention those Dads who are no longer with us and are watching over us from the other side.  We honour these Dads too and cherish the memories we have shared with them. [PS – Hereunder is a photo of Ms. Abela and her Dad who passed away 13 years ago)

Wishing all your Dads a very Happy Father’s Day spent together with you on my behalf and Ms Abela’s.  Enjoy!!

JM and SA

June 18

A Ticket without Seat

Good Morning boys!

Ms. Malani shared with link with me and we decided to share this short 3min video with you too. This animated video won an Oscar too, for its message rather than the quality of the animation or the intricate story.

This 3 min. film has won the Oscar for the best animated movie..

Posted by Susan Cohen Pearlman on Sunday, April 12, 2020

https://www.facebook.com/1553838367/videos/10220996145884045/

Abroad, you can book your seat on a train or bus with a ‘seat’ or ‘without the seat’. This is because some people use the service regularly and sometimes they struggle to book. Also it is because they have long distances.

The message of the video is at the end though… it is not about the seat… it is about being Kind. It is about giving up from what you have and you need. This is what people in our modern society sometimes do not understand. We tend to give (money, food, time etc…) from the ‘EXTRA’ we have. In poor countries where they barely make ends meet, if they see someone poorer than them, they help him out!

If I have food for 2 days in a row and the next person does not have food for today… I give up my food for tomorrow to feed him today! They believe that the universe (Karma ?? God??) will provide for them because they have been kind.

Just some food for thought!

Take care and have a good day!

JM and SA

June 17

Farewell Bob!

Good Morning boys!

Today I wished to share with you a bit of a ‘sad’ news. It is part of ‘life’ that those who are born have to die… and BOB the cat from the movie we saw together during the Live-In unfortunately passed away. This is from the publisher’s FB page… but a small consolation… a new film is coming out later on this year.

Hodder & Stoughton and James Bowen are saddened to announce the death of Bob the cat on 15 June at the age of at least 14 years.

James, a recovering addict, first met Bob in 2007 when he found him abandoned and injured. James took care of Bob who in turn gave him a reason to get up each morning. They quickly became inseparable, busking and selling The Big Issue on the streets of London.

In 2012 Hodder & Stoughton published James’ first book, A Street Cat Named Bob, telling his and Bob’s extraordinary story. The book was a publishing sensation, selling – along with its sequels The World According to Bob, A Gift from Bob and The Little Book of Bob – more than eight million books in more than forty languages, and was made into the film in 2016 starring Luke Treadaway as James. Bob appeared in the film as himself and will appear in a sequel, A Gift from Bob, later this year.

As James and Bob continued to find fans all over the world, Bob led an incredible life meeting well-wishers at book signings, travelling the world and coping with feline fame. He was an extraordinary cat who will be greatly missed.

James Bowen says “Bob saved my life. It’s as simple as that. He gave me so much more than companionship. With him at my side, I found a direction and purpose that I’d been missing. The success we achieved together through our books and films was miraculous. He’s met thousands of people, touched millions of lives. There’s never been a cat like him. And never will again. I feel like the light has gone out in my life. I will never forget him.”

Goodbye Bob! You lived a good life! You were loved, admired and you showed humanity how an animal can be so meaningful and can save a life! Keep watching over James from across the rainbow!

Your fan, Ms. Abela and Ms Malani!

June 16

Giving back to others… Blood Donation

Good Morning Boys,

As you know, I am into First Aid and helping others. I grew up with my mum telling me that the best feeling in the world is when you are giving something back to those in need. It does not mean giving charity or monatry donations. It can be just some time, a helping hand moving a few bags, doing an errand to an elderly, calling someone alone or checking up on someone. During the past months you have seen many people going out of their way to help others in need, the vulnerable stuck at home too. Perhaps your parents were front liners or helped a neighbor too!

Last week I went with my sister to the Blood Donation Center in Pieta’. On the 14th June, it was Blood Donors Day too. I donated around 450ml of blood, which it does not look like a lot, however for the body weight it is a lot of stress and effort. It was my 5th blood donation. I have low iron levels and sometimes, I go to donate but I can’t. My veins are also very thin, so the blood flow is very slow. The nurse had to hold the needle in place all the time!

Why do we donate blood? Blood is needed for those who loose a lot of blood in accidents or during operations at hospital. Some people have blood disorders and need to have their blood ‘changed’ periodically. Cancer patients, like my dad was, would need blood infusions to help their body as it gets weak during Chemotherapy too.

Donating Blood is courageous. It costs nothings, it takes 30-40 minutes and it leaves your heart full of joy that you may have helped to save a life. You are too young to donate blood, however you can encourage those around you to try and you can go with them to support them too!

Take care,

SA

June 15

Musical Legends

Good morning,

We are going to conclude the week on a ‘High Note’ literally! We know that there is a genre of music called ‘classical’ music. The people who sing ‘Opera’ are called Sopranos (if women) and a ‘Tenor’ (if men). There are various famous singers that sing in this style. Unfortunately because of the timber of their voices, the songs that they can sing are limited. Also the songs are not ‘radio-friendly’ so much. It is usually mature people that appreciate this kind of music as well.

Some of the popular tenors are: Andrea Boccelli (who is also blind) and Pavarotti (who died). In Malta we have the famous tenor – Joseph Calleja who is renowned world wide. We can also boast that we have Sopranos in Malta that work internationally. One of them is our Prime Minister’s sister, who is a Soprano and works in Italy. She was also on Rai Tv which is Italy’s national TV station. Another Mezzo – Soprano is Marvic Monreal who is still 28 years old and has had a lot of experience abroad around the world.

Opera Music is not ‘boring’ or not approachable as some might think. The popular Italy group – Il Volo – made this music popular even at Euro-vision Song Contest.

I hope you found this subject interesting and made you curious to google these talented people!

ALSO HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LUC!!

Thanks and regards,

JM and SA

Marvic Monreal

Joseph Calleja

Andrea Boccelli

Luciano Pavarotti

June 12

Prince

Good morning boys,

Today I would like to mention PRINCE.  Perhaps some of you remember him as he recently passed away. Prince Rogers Nelson (June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016) was an American singer-songwriter, musician, record producer, dancer, actor, and filmmaker. Born and raised in Minneapolis, Prince developed an interest in music as a young child and wrote his first song, “Funk Machine”, at the age of seven

His most famous song is PURPLE RAIN and one of my favourites(EVEN Ms Abela’s).

n April 2016, at the age of 57, Prince died of an accidental fentanyl overdose at his Paisley Park home and recording studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota. He sold over 100 million records worldwide, ranking him among the best-selling music artists of all time.

Hang on , its the last few weeks of school, put in the last efforts

Have a good weekend,

JM and SA

June 11

Music Legends – The Queens of Music

Good morning boys!

Yesterday we talked about the ‘Kings’ and today we are talking about the ‘Queens’ of Music. You may ask, ‘but why are these artists ‘royal’ compared to other more talented people, perhaps?’ Also these artists might not have songs that you like or genre that you like. They do not commonly use swear words in their music or rap either (things that many of you seem to like).

What makes a ‘King’ and ‘Queen’ of music is the fact that their music is legendary. People still talk about their songs years later. They win awards for their music. Their songs are used in major films or they are asked to write and sing the ‘theme song’ of a film. They are usually also very talented and they are also ‘actors’.

The Queens of Music are: Marilyn Monroe, Madonna and Beyonce. I would have loved to mention Adel, Taylor Swift, Katy Parry and many others too but it is impossible.

Why Marilyn?

Marilyn is your typical American beauty. With all the right curves, a sweet face, blonde curls and very soft spoken… rather than an extraordinary voice, it was more the emotion that she used to transmit whilst singing that people will forever remember. She was cheeky and tempting and many tried to be like her. She as born Norma Jeane Mortenson; June 1, 1926 – August 4, 1962. Even though her life was very glamorous, she suffered from depression and always felt lonely. Marilyn knew that people liked her appearance and she loved the attention but deep down she wanted to be loved for her personality and she always fell for the wrong men.

The following are two of her most popular songs: Diamonds are a girl’s best friend and I wanna be loved by you. If you like watching TV Series, there is a 2 season series called ‘SMASH’ about a musical of the life of Marilyn.

A short Documentary about her life:

Now onto the Queen of Pop= Madonna… Madonna Louise Ciccone  born August 16, 1958) is an American singer, songwriter, and actress. Having been referred to as the “Queen of Pop” since the 1980s, Madonna is known for pushing the boundaries of songwriting in popular music and for the visuals she uses onstage and in music videos. She has frequently retooled her image while remaining completely in charge of every aspect of her career, and she is recognized for her versatility, having incorporated several genres into her music. Her works, which incorporate social, political, sexual, and religious themes, have generated both critical acclaim and controversy. Madonna is often cited as an influence by other artists. Even though she is 61 years old, she does not look her age and has a very young husband and stunning look! Some of her most famous songs include:La Isla Bonita,Vogue, Material Girl, Like a virgin,Papa no Preach and Frozen. She is also famous for portraying the role of the wife of a dictator – Evita Peron.

Our last queen is the Queen B …. Beyonce. Her full name is: Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carte born September 4, 1981 and is an American singer, songwriter, record producer, dancer, and actress. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Beyoncé performed in various singing and dancing competitions as a child. She rose to fame in the late 1990s as the lead singer of Destiny’s Child, one of the best-selling girl groups of all time. During Destiny’s Child’s hiatus, Beyoncé made her theatrical film debut with a role in the US box-office number-one Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002) and recorded her first solo album, Dangerously in Love (2003), which debuted at the top of the US Billboard 200 chart. It also featured the Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles “Crazy in Love” and “Baby Boy“. She is an icon of beauty, of various family values and she is also a black woman! I must say that one of the films that I love her in is – Dreamgirls about an all black singing group in the 1950-1960s.  Some of her most famous songs include -Crazy in Love, Halo and single Ladies!

Unfortunately we can’t mention all the queens! Jenifer Lopez, Shakira and Amy Winehouse are also household names! Which are you favorite female artists?

Have a good day,

regards,

SA and JM